Government And Police Liability

If you are injured in an accident involving a government entity or employee ― such as a police officer ― you may encounter some difficulties when you attempt to file a lawsuit seeking your rightful damages. Specifically, you may find yourself dealing with an obstacle known as sovereign or governmental immunity, which is a legal concept that essentially protects the government from suit even if it would have otherwise been liable had it been a private individual.

However, while this immunity may make it more difficult to hold a government entity liable for negligent acts, it is not impossible. Indeed, there are some very important exceptions to government immunity, including some expressed legislative waivers. For instance, you may be able to seek damages against the government if you are injured due to an improperly maintained/designed highway or involved in a police-related car accident.

Given the complexity associated with government immunity claims, it is always best to seek the counsel of an experienced attorney if you have been injured by the government's negligent conduct. At Overby Law Office, P.C., we understand the intricacies of the law when it comes to suits involving potential government immunity, including the special notice and pleading requirements entailed. Additionally, attorney C. Frederick Overby spent more than a decade in the past representing government entities, so he is extensively familiar with how both sides approach these unique legal issues.

Police Liability For Car Crashes

Even though police officers are generally permitted to run stoplights and exceed the speed limit when they are responding to emergency calls, they still are required under the law to drive with due regard for the safety of the public at large.

In fact, if a police officer ― including a deputy sheriff, a city cop or any other type of law enforcement officer ― drives his or her police vehicle negligently, or with reckless disregard for the safety of others, the government entity associated with this officer may be liable for any resulting damages. This may include damages related to a pedestrian injury in a crosswalk or a collision with another car.

Seek Guidance From An Attorney With A Proven Success Record

Ultimately, establishing government and police liability for an accident can be tricky. If you have questions about these types of suits, contact Overby Law Office, P.C., today to speak to a lawyer who has had success in this area of the law. We have offices in both Bozeman, Montana, and Columbus, Georgia ― both of which are staffed full time. You can reach out to us online or call us at 800-689-1233.

We take personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not owe any attorney fees unless we win. Also, we offer FREE initial consultations in most instances.